Sunday, August 10, 2008

ESP, or useful things I learned on the ranch.

My friend Jim, who keeps his finger on the pulse of the Socorro music scene, here, made me laugh by telling me I have ESP (Especially Senses Precipitation). In the interest of full disclosure, I will share my secret: watch the cows. When I drove to work the other morning, I noticed that the cows were all lying down in the fields. When the cows lie down, expect rain.

It rained this afternoon, so we put a chicken in the oven to roast, and went out to play in the puddles.



There's a new shop on the main drag, where we spotted this fellow -



and this one -



and this one.



He has the whole world in his hands...and while we're doing ellipses, check out this one:



Socorro is lovely after a good rain. We walked around a little near San Miguel. What follows is a few houses that appeal to me for one reason or another.









This has been a tough summer in a few ways, and I have been going a little crazy upstairs in my head. It feels good to be doing again the thing that kept me sane out in Catron County the last few years - walking and taking pictures and posting them on a blog. Also, reading good books and sharing them with people, like this one:

which is funny and interesting and has been a really good read in the run-up to the Beijing Olympics.

So in the interest of sanity, I'm back, and I will be posting more frequently, with pictures. Sure, I could find a good therapist, but this is cheaper, and more fun.

2 comments:

Spike said...

Love the alien taking his ease.

And that last house. Looks like it's not quite woken from its dreaming slumber.

Ron Bloomquist said...

Welcome back!! Again!! Woo Hoo!

Those first couple of photos of that new "shop" look like it used to be a gas station.

Thanks for the photos and words.

Ron