Saturday, January 12, 2008

Downtown

Here are a couple of photos from a walk a little while back that we did around the Historic Plaza area.


The Capitol Bar building is over a hundred years old, and ought to reek of history. I've been inside and was vaguely disappointed. I don't know what I expected. Inebriated ghosts?



Depending who you believe, this was built in the 1890's or the early 1900s - about the time that water began to be piped around the city - and was the Water Department (or Water Commission.) Then it was, until recently, the City Police Department, and now it houses the Socorro Heritage and Visitor's Center.



I don't know anything about this building on Garfield (Garfield Street, paved 1936 by the WPA, yes?) other than it used to be a roller skating rink - remember roller skating? Looking at it makes me feel wistful.

2 comments:

Spike said...

Yer rollerskating rink has a faintly Art Deco/ Nouvea/ Whatever-the-hell-it-is look about its facade. But only a faint look.

Suzanne44 said...

It's the only thing reminiscent of Art Deco I've noticed so far - still trying to sort out the various elements of the Pueblo/Spanish/Territorial/Greek Revival/Victorian period styles, all of which seem to have been borrowed from extensively and used simultaneously over a relatively short span of time - like looking through the wrong end of a telescope. I'll have to have a look behind, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Art Deco-ish facade sits on the front of aomething considerably older.

So much to learn, so little time...