Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sunday Morning Stroll #2



Pictured above is Socorro's Wheel of History, put up in 1998 and created by this guy who has changed his name twelve times but is currently going by the name of Ed McGowin.

Here is something I'm puzzling over. Look at the sign below:



Jumbo was built "to contain the explosion of the first nuclear device" in 1945. For some reason, when said nuclear device was exploded, Jumbo was 800 feet away. How come? They don't say. Did you notice the missing apostrophe? I won't tell you where - if you don't see it right away, you're probably not the kind of person who is bothered by this sort of thing.

Here is our piece of Jumbo:





By the way, I should say for the record that the San Miguel Church pictured in the previous post was not actually built in 1598. It was probably built in the early 1800's at or near the place where the original Mission was founded. Didn't mean to imply that the building itself is over 400 years old. The first church, I think, was made of wood, and burned down. Where's a winged man with a heavenly firehose when you need one....

3 comments:

Spike said...

That 800 feet bizzo has got me as well. They oughta say!

Suzanne44 said...

Curious, isn't it?

Ron Bloomquist said...

As an aside; I did rent and watch "October Sky" per your suggestion. The sputnik in the movie crossed the sky exactly like I remembered when I was a 16 year old kid in Nebraska.

Thanks for the movie tip!

http://blabberon.blogspot.com/